Endorsing a spousal or life partner visa

On February 14, 2019 / by Sherone Lewis / Leave a comment

the northern (8)

A common immigration question is whether a spouse or life partner of a South African citizen or permanent resident can work in South Africa. After all, many foreign nationals coming to South Africa would like to earn an income.

As a permanent resident, with a permanent permit, you are free to work, start a business or even study in South Africa. You don’t need any special permits to do so. However, while you’re still in South Africa on a spousal or life partner visa, you would need an endorsement in order to work, start a business or study.

The good news is obtaining an endorsement is much easier than obtaining a work permit. With an endorsement there is no need for the employer to prove that a South African could not be found to fill the position. This makes it much easier on the prospective employer and it gives the foreign national a greater chance of securing a job.

You can either apply for an endorsement at the application stage or after you’ve received your spousal or life partner visa. For instance, you can do the former if you already have all the documents to start your studies or do the latter if you only want to start looking for a job when you’re in South Africa.

Endorsements are specific to the employer, business or educational institution. It is not a blank endorsement. Therefore any changes in terms of employer, business or your studies, would mean an application for a new endorsement. The good news is that there is no limit to the number of times you can apply for an endorsement.

To find out more about how to obtain an endorsement for your spousal or life partner visa, or if you need help with any of your other immigration needs, make sure you get in touch with one of our immigration consultants today.

The following two tabs change content below.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *