Foreigners who want to study abroad in South Africa – at whatever level – must apply for a South African student visa (formerly called a South African study permit). If you hold an existing study visa and wish to extend your study period in South Africa, here’s everything you need to know.
The requirements for a South African student visa renewal is the same as for a first-time application:
- Your studies must be a full-time course
- The educational institution must be registered with the South African Board of Education in South Africa by the Department of Home Affairs or the relevant South African High Commission or Embassy
- An official letter of acceptance from the university, college or similar tertiary learning institution
- You must have proof of South African Registered Medical Insurance. The Department of Home Affairs does not accept international or foreign medical insurances for student visa applications
- Proof of sufficient financial means to support yourself for the duration of your visa. While you may work on a student visa, you may not rely on this income to support yourself
South African visa renewal applications must be submitted no later than 60 days prior to the expiry of the existing visa.
As you’re already in South Africa on a valid visa, you may make your renewal application from within South Africa.
If you’re looking for assistance with your visa, we’re here to help! By using an immigration consultant, you also get the peace of mind of knowing that your application is in the hands of someone up to date on all immigration legislation. Our immigration consultants know relocation procedures back to front.
If you’re looking to use an Immigration consultant for all your immigration needs, make sure you get in touch with us today!
Latest posts by Sherone Lewis (see all)
- COVID-19: Overstaying visa conditions in South Africa - July 8, 2020
- Updated COVID-19 Immigration and Travel Restrictions - July 1, 2020
- Covid-19: What you need to know as a refugee or migrant in South Africa - June 18, 2020