Life Partner Visa South Africa

The Department of Home Affairs in South Africa issues permits in the name of love. Life Partners of South African citizens or life partners of South African Permanent Residents can apply for Life Partner Permits to South Africa. They can also apply for Permanent Residence if there is evidence that the relationship has lasted 5 years.

Life Partners do not need to be married in order to apply for a Life Partner Visa to South Africa. Life partners of South African citizens or life partners of Permanent Residents wishing to Immigrate to South Africa, may apply for Life Partner Visas, provided that evidence of authenticity and permanence of the relationship is delivered.

In addition to Life Partner Visas, life partners who have been in a relationship for at least 5 years also qualify for Permanent Residence in addition to the issue of this type of permit. For partners in shorter-term relationships, a Temporary Residence Visa would be more appropriate. This visa lasts for 2 years, with the option of extension, should the relationship be continuing.

In either case the permit/ visa is usually granted for 2 years, after which time both parties to the relationship must prove beyond all doubt that the relationship still exists. Failure to show this will lead to the revocation of the Life Partner Visa.

Life Partner Temporary Residency South Africa:

Life partners of South African citizens are able to apply for Temporary Residency, provided they have proof of being partners for at least 2 years. In addition to the other requirements, partners need to provide a notarial contract.

Life Partner Permanent Residency South Africa:

In order to apply for Permanent Residency the permanent relationship should have been for at least 5 years. However, due to the waiting period for Permanent Residency, which can take 2 years or more, it is advisable to apply for a Temporary Residency Permit instead. An application to extend the validity of the Temporary Permit is also possible as long as the relationship still exists.

What you need to know when applying for a Life Partner Permit:

  • Apply at any nearest VFS in South Africa or South African High Commission if applying abroad.
  • Your South African partner or Permanent Residence holder partner must provide a declaration of support.
  • Submit proof that you have been in a relationship with a Permanent Residence holder/ South African citizen for 5 years

Same Sex Life Partner Visas:

In line with South Africa’s progressive stance on human rights, little distinction is made between homosexual and heterosexual couples. South Africa’s immigration laws enable life partners of South African citizens or Permanent Residents to qualify for Permanent Resident Permits.

Should you have any questions with regard to the Life Partner Visa, feel free to contact one of our immigration consultants.

Updated According to Immigration Act 2014